Monday, April 16, 2012

An Invigorating Adaption


A couple of weeks ago, I expressed my sadness of Raf Simons leaving Jil Sander.  But last week, Christian Dior announced Simons will come on aboard as creative director. It only take a year for the decision to be made final, but a great one I must admit. The fashion media has of course written and re-reported articles on the new switcheroo.  Everyone has had a similar reaction. Exhibit A: But he's a minimalist, how will that fit in with the Dior Aesthetic? 
Stop you're worrying.  
Don't get frantic and have an anxiety attack.  
Eric Wilson from the New York Times wrote an unbiased article with some quotes from Ken Downing and Mark Holgate I very much appreciated.  
Both Ms. Fargo and Ken Downing, the fashion director of Neiman Marcus, championed Mr. Simons as the right designer for the role, citing, in Mr. Downing’s case, “the Dior-esque sensibility” of his last show. As Mr. Simons moved the house forward, Jil Sander was less and less about minimalism, Mr. Downing said.  
And Mark Holgate took the words out of my mouth. “The more original voices you have in fashion, the better,” he said. “I’m excited because I don’t know quite what to expect in July.” 

I'm cyked to see what the future holds.
*Cykic

No comments:

Post a Comment